Every woman wears fashion jewelry as there is so much fun in it! Mixing fashion jewelry with your more expensive pieces is a great way to stay on trend and express your style without going broke. When you want to try out a new jewelry trend but aren’t sure how you’re going to like it (or how long it will be in style), fashion jewelry is the way to go.
Unfortunately, fashion jewelry may easily ruin after just a few time use. The thin silver or gold plating on fashion necklaces and fashion rings wear off fairly quickly, revealing the brass or nickel underneath. Or discoloration or tarnishing will eventually occur. We’ve all had rings that have turned our skin green by the end of the day, or “silver” jewelry that looks like a penny after wearing it just a few times. It’s a major bummer–and super annoying.
Luckily, Beaded Necklaces buys from only the best sources. Our products tend to do better than most. Also, most people don’t know it, but you can clean off tarnish and re-plate fashion jewelry to make it look brand new again. All you need to do is follow this DIY recipe we found online. Where has this jewelry trick been all our lives? The Internet is a fantastic source of information, isn’t it?.
Follow the simple steps below, and you’ll be able to fix all the fashion jewelry you own and get it back into your wardrobe mix ASAP! You’re welcome.
What you’ll need
First, you’ll want to collect all of your fashion jewelry that needs to be fixed or cleaned. Then gather up the following:
- an aluminum plate or aluminum foil
- baking soda
- access to a microwave
- a clean rag
- your discolored cheap jewelry
Steps to take
Take note if the jewelry contains any gemstones. If it does, you’ll want to be careful about getting that area too wet. Water can dissolve the glue under gemstones, causing them to fall off later on.
You’ll need a deep aluminum plate or bowl, like a pie plate. If you don’t have access to one, you can use a regular plate or bowl wrapped in aluminum foil. If you go with the latter, make sure the aluminum foil doesn’t tear.
- Pour one tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of baking soda on the plate.
- Heat 1 cup of water in a microwave for less than 2 minutes. You want it to be hot but not boiling. Then, pour the hot water on to the salt and baking soda mixture.
- Stir the jewelry cleaning mixture entirely so the ingredients combine and there are no clumps. Wait about 1 minute for the mixture to completely liquefy after stirring it.
- Place your jewelry in the mixture. In this step, the salt, baking soda, and water mixture should oxidize the tarnish off the jewelry. The silver from the foil or aluminum plate should re-plate the worn spots on your fake silver jewelry.
- When the tarnish is nearly all gone (this may take a few seconds to up to two minutes), remove the jewelry from the mixture. Just be patient. Your fashion jewelry will become shinier regaining its original hue.
- Using a clean, dry, soft rag, remove the remaining tarnish from your jewelry by wiping it gently. Sometimes green gunk builds up on fashion jewelry. Wiping it with a clean cloth should remove it after the salt and baking soda soak it just had.
Abracadabra –Your fashion jewelry should look good as new!
That was easy, wasn’t it? This process will help save your favorite fashion jewelry from needing to be discarded. So go ahead and wear that fashion jewelry as much as your heart desires – you can always go back and fix it later.